James' Report - As Dictated to Me This Morning

Jan 20, 2010
(Wednesday, January 20th)

Tuesday morning – After another night of cat naps, I woke up feeling somewhat better. the pain was still there, in the left hip and leg, but at manageable levels. I guess that’s why they say the drugs are for “pain management”.

My appointment at the hospital was for 9:30 AM yesterday. I felt pleased by the fact that I did not need an ambulance to get there.

After a discussion with the doctor and another epidural spinal injection, I was pleased to hear him tell me that was now quite confident that I could avoid surgery

  • IF I don’t have a relapse between now and my third (and final!) injection next Monday, AND
  • IF I go slow and easy during the next several weeks of recovery (That one will be a big challenge. Once I feel somewhat better, my tendency has always been to dive in and proceed full speed ahead in my work.), AND
  • IF, once I am recovered from the acute phase, I establish and maintain a program of regular physical therapy and exercise – even if it’s just mild exercise like yoga or tai chi.

This morning (Wednesday), I woke up at 4 AM -after my first uninterrupted period of 4 hours sleep since this began – and I felt wide awake and raring to go.

Ah! Not so fast there, Buster! I began to scribble a bunch of notes on a legal pad, but by 5 AM was drowsy and suddenly feeling exhausted. I fell back asleep. I had stopped my regular pain medication schedule yesterday at 3 PM, and by now all the medication had worn off. So when I awoke again at 8 AM, it was because of the pain (which was back up from a “manageable” level to about a 7.5 on a 10 scale – with the numeral 10 being “passed out from the pain”). I took one tablet instead of the prescribed two and by the time of this note (9:30 AM Wednesday), my pain is beginning to be managed once again.

Needless to say, I don’t foresee being back to normal for some time yet. One of the many frustrations I am learning to deal with – thank you Father – is that I cannot even sit with a laptop for literally any longer than 3 or 4 minutes. So, what’s the use in even booting up?! Thank you for the emails I know you are sending.

I am able to do some bible study, but only because my KJV is lying flat next to my pillow so I can pick it up to verify this or that from some small articles I’ve been reading. I praise Him for this trial and for what He is teaching me from it.

So, it’s been 15 days since I became mostly incapacitated and bedridden…15 days, my oh my, how time flies when you’re having fun! (Even though it IS sarcasm, I say it with a smile of joy, not with a cynical frown.)

As soon as I am able to use the laptop, I will be sharing with you in my Journal (weblog) some of the lessons Father is teaching me through this ordeal. I think many of you will be able to relate to the lessons, as well.

I had more I wanted to share with you now, but it will have to wait. Thank you, CD for all your help in editing and posting these to keep my friends informed, as well as the curious. (You’re welcome! – CD)

Thanks to all of you once again for your prayers, and I hope you will continue to keep me in them.


CD Smith, Stone Kingdom Webmaster
Posted January 20, 2010

Category: James' Health